Information for Starter Rider Division
This category was created to allow people who are new to dressage the
opportunity to compete with peers. In ECRDA, a starter rider is one who
has not shown in any open dressage class. Please note that this definition
may be different in other organizations.
- The show season runs from November 1 of the previous year to October
31 of the present year.
- Any individual who has not competed in an open dressage test can elect
to show as a starter in ECRDA. Once a starter rider competes in any
open class at any dressage competition, they are then ineligible to
enter future starter classes. Once a year-end championship is won at
the starter level, the rider then must move up to the next level.
- Starter riders may only qualify for starter rider awards and are not
eligible for any other awards.
- A starter rider may choose at any time to advance to open status.
Only then can he/she compete for open division awards. Starter scores,
up to that point, will be counted for starter high score awards. Once
a rider has advanced, he/she cannot drop back and compete in the starter
- Riders must be current ECRDA members at the time of showing for the
scores to count for any of the starter rider division awards.
- Two levels in starter rider will be offered: Starter Walk/Trot (USDF
Tests A and B) and Starter Walk/Trot/Canter (UDDF Test C and Training Level Test 1)
- All shows will be governed by ECRDA rules. Should a discrepancy occur,
USEF/USAE rules will be reviewed and a final decision will be voted
on by the current ECRDA Executive Board.
- All other requirements are explained in "General
Information for Dressage Competitions" and "Rules
for Dressage High Score Awards", and will be strictly